Split peas are literally green peas that have been split. Why? Not sure but that doesn’t really concern me too much. All I know is that split peas are little green half-balls of heaven that have SO much fiber and protein to help us get rid of nasty toxins in our bodies and help us build lean muscle as we’re trying to get toned J Split green peas also have almost no fat (aka eat as much as your stomach desires). The onions and garlic in this soup also have tons of antioxidants and help reduce inflammation if you’re feeling bloated. Enjoy a bowl of split pea soup and feel even more gorgeous as you do it!
- 1 bag split peas
- 1/2 white onion (you can use half or a whole, I go for the whole thang!)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to your liking! (I like lots of pepper and just a dash of salt)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Now let’s make it:
- Rinse the peas, friends. They may have a little dirt from the farm and I’d rather not eat that!
- Once washed, pour the peas in the pot you plan on cooking them in. Are we cooking now? Not yet…
- You MUST let the split peas sit in water overnight so they’re perfect to cook the next day. (Put just enough water to cover them completely).
- 24 hrs passed…Now we are ready to cook! Place the pot of split peas on the stove and raise the heat until the peas come to a boil.
- Toss in the onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Lower to medium heat and stir every once in a while for about 30-35 minutes.
- Taste your peas while you’re cooking until they’re at a consistency you are happy with and then stop cooking!
- Optional: You can either leave the soup as it is, or blend it for a creamy consistency. I like split pea creaminess, so to the blender they go!!!
By: Nati’s Kitchen